Ha! It turns out that varmint was correct. Punxsutawney Phil for the win! It has been quite chilly around here, though if the weather forecasters are to be believed, we’re going to get a taste of Spring next week. But I’d be willing to bet it will just be a brief little sample and then it will turn cold again. No way winter is done with us yet. So ya’ll will be so happy you have this recipe to warm you up on those cold damp days to come – Quick Chicken & Dumplings. Comfort food at its finest and much easier to make than the traditional dish. What’s the secret? Store bought rotisserie chicken & gnocchi! You’ll have this hearty flavorful creamy dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
Now I have made the traditional Chicken & Dumplings dish many times. It is kind of an all day affair to make, but it is so tasty with big, fluffy cornmeal dumplings The husband absolutely loves it!
So I wasn’t sure how he was going to feel about this shortcut version. But there was no need to fear. He loved this dish as well.
Those soft pillowy gnocchi do a wonderful job standing in for dumplings. And the good news is, it is not only absolutely delicious, but it is also very quick and easy to make. Meaning there is a good chance it will make it to the table much more frequently. So when the weather turns chilly again, as I know it will, you’ll be ready with a big pot of Chicken & Dumplings to lift folks spirits. You don’t even need to let them in on the secret “quick” bit. Winner, winner! Quick Chicken & Dumplings Dinner!
Quick Chicken & Dumplings
recipe from: Alexa Weibel via NYT Cooking
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots or 8 ounces butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, white and pale green portion halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium celery stalks, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (16-ounce) package fresh or shelf-stable store-bought gnocchi
- ½ small (3-pound) store-bought rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded, meat torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups shredded meat)
- Fresh tarragon, parsley or dill, for garnish
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium. Add the carrots, leek, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme and poultry seasoning, if using. Season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the flour, then cook, stirring, 2 minutes. (This cooks the flour to soften its raw flavor.) Gradually stir in the stock and cream, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once the mixture boils, stir in the gnocchi, reduce the heat to medium and cook until gnocchi and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken in the last couple of minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and top with fresh tarragon and more black pepper, if desired.
Quick Chicken & Dumplings brought to you today by: Runcible Eats (www.leaandjay.com)