If you’re looking for a side dish to serve at your upcoming St. Patrick’s Day feast – look no further. Folks will go mad for these Sticky Carrots with Irish Whiskey & Ginger Glaze. The carrots are lightly browned in butter and served in a sweet and spicy ginger glaze.
Oh, and don’t forget that Irish whiskey. There is a healthy glug of it added to give these carrots some Irish flare. Believe me, once you taste these little gems they won’t only be making an appearance on St. Patrick’s Day. You’ll be enjoying them year round!
Sticky Carrots with an Irish Whiskey & Ginger Glaze
recipe from: The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of sea salt flakes
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 4 large carrots (1 1b.) diagonally sliced into 1/2″ circles
- 1 Tablespoon ginger stir in paste (you could also use fresh ginger if you prefer, use about a 3/4″ piece and chop into matchstick size bits. Saute until tender after carrots have been removed from pan. Add ginger to carrots before making whiskey sauce.)
- 2 Tablespoons Irish Whiskey
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Combine the sugar, pepper and sea salt. Set aside
Heat the oil and half of the butter in a large skillet. Add the carrots in a single layer and sprinkle with the sugar mixture. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes. Turn the slices and reduce heat if necessary. Continue to cook until slightly browned on both sides and tender. Transfer the carrots to a plate.
Clean the skillet with paper towels. Add the remaining butter, the whiskey, stock and ginger paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for three minutes or until it becomes syrupy. Return the carrots to the skillet and swirl with the syrup for one minute. Serve warm.
Sticky Carrots with Irish Whiskey & Ginger Glaze brought to you today by: Runcible Eats (www.leaandjay.com)
Useful links for Kitchen Tools & Ingredients for Sticky Carrots with Irish Whiskey & Ginger Glaze:
Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste – I could not find the ginger paste that I use on amazon, so I have provided this link here so you can see what I am talking about.